Stinger™ Explosion Isolation Valve
The Stinger is designed to prevent a deflagration (explosion) that could occur in the dust collector from traveling back down the inlet pipe protecting the workspace and process equipment/personnel.
Stinger™ Explosion Isolation Valve:
- Decoupling / locking system
- Flow activated flap valve
- ATEX approved
- Low energy consumption
Passive flap valve for explosion decoupling
Flow activated flap valve
1. During normal operation, the airflow holds the blade open and a back stop makes sure the blade is in the position that was tested and approved (image no.1).
2. If a deflagration occurs in the dust collector, a pressure wave will travel through the pipe faster than the flame front and close the flap valve (image no.2).
3. When the valve is fully closed, a latching mechanism keeps it shut. The closed valve prevents the transmission of flame past the valve (image no.3).
4. The valve also prevents smoke, dust and burning debris from traveling through the inlet pipe into the factory (image no.4).
The blades are made from a composite material for strength and minimum weight. Low weight is necessary for the valve to close with the highest possible speed. The design also eliminates the need for stiffeners on the back of the blade. Stiffeners allow dust build up on the blade, which increases the weight and thus, pressure required to hold the blade open. Dust on the back of the blade is also undesirable because it would provide additional fuel for the deflagration.
The front side of the blade is covered with a 3 mm abrasion resistant rubber sheeting. This does not contribute to the strength of the blade,
but maintains it by protecting it from wear. Wear on a blade reduces its strength and could contribute to failure during a deflagration.
The wear liner also acts as a wear indicator. If the metal behind the liner is seen during routine inspections, it will indicate that the blade needs to be replaced. The valve seat is also replaceable but did not sustain damage during dozens of tests. The blades bolt to the square pivot shaft and are replaceable.
Composite Blade Advantages:
- Low weight
- Lower pressure drop
- Wear resistant liner
- High strength to weight ratio
- Smooth back
- No dust accumulation
- Easily replaceable
- Absorbs damage evenly and protects main valve components from damage during activation
Square Shaft Advantages:
- Easy blade change out
- No slip locking arm attachment
Latching Mechanism Advantages:
- No slip locking collar on square shaft
- Fully adjustable for initial position
- Self-adjusting during activation
- Durable yet replaceable blade seat for ease of maintenance
- Designed to minimize dust accumulation around blade seat
- Designed to maintain conveying velocities in valve
- Max pressure 1 bar without yielding
- Flanges are industry standard angle ring flanges
- Color: Safety Yellow
- Top door for maintenance assess as well as protected side inspection cover
Activation Sensor (Optional):
- Non-contact magnetic reed switch
- Normally open or normally closed contact option
- IP 65 junction box with terminals for easy field connections
- Hermetically sealed corrosion resistant sensor
- Maintenance free
An optional magnetic sensor is mounted on the shaft opposite the locking mechanism. It provides a signal to indicate that the valve has been activated.
A self-adjusting latching mechanism engages when the valve closes and holds the valve shut during the deflagration. This mechanism will not engage during normal shutdown of the system fan.
- ATEX type approval: Yes
- Combustible material: Dry organic and metal dust with
- KST<200 bar*m/s
(Not suitable for flammable gases/vapors or hybrid mixtures of dust and gases/vapors)
- Protected vessel: Vented with non-reclosing venting devices
- System configuration: Pull flow through valve and protected vessel only
- Flow direction changes between valve and protected vessel: Not allowed
- Operating temperature: - 20° to 50° C
- ATEX marking:
- Ex II D ST1, Ex II 1/3D
- Ex h IIIC T050 Da/Dc
- Certificate: FTZU 14 ATEX 153X
- Installation position: Horizontal
- Valve maximum pressure resistance: 1 bar
- Maximum dust loading: For metal dust < LEL