Farr Gold Series® Camtain®
The dust collector designed specifically for pharmaceutical and containment applications, including the following:
- Tablet presses
- Tablet coating
- Fluid bed drying
- Spray drying
- General room ventilation
Farr Gold Series Camtain for Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Applications
- The Farr Gold Series (GS) Camtain units can be used in a variety of pharmaceutical dust collection applications including tablet presses, coating, fluid bed drying, spray drying, blending, granulation and general room ventilation.
- The GS Camtain is perfect for high-efficiency filtration where recovery of the product is not required.
- Safe-change containment systems are available for both the filter cartridges and discharge system underneath the collector. The cartridge change utilizes the safe-change filter replacement method while the discharge uses continuous liner technology.
- The GS Camtain can also support traditional dust collection for nuisance dusts and fumes that do not require full isolation and containment.
- Camfil APC has containment dust collectors for pharmaceutical applications in North, South and Central America, Asia and Europe.
- In the GS Camtain, filter cartridges are sealed via an internal cam bar action, allowing convenient change out through the safe-change filter replacement system.
- High-entry, cross flow inlet eliminates upward velocities that can hold fine particulates in the filter cartridges, reducing the re-entrainment of the particulate matter.
- Vertically arranged filters shed virtually all the particles versus horizontal filters which allow the particles to build on top of the filter in high dust loading applications.
- High efficiency filters up to MERV 16 stop 99.99% of the dust at 0.5 microns!
- Specially treated filter media repels fine particulates for a lower pressure drop and longer filter life.
- Gold Cone® cartridge filter design provides 25% more media for long service life. HemiPleat® filter technology ensures uniform pleat spacing with synthetic beads that hold the pleats of the filter cartridge wide open.
The Farr Gold Series contained dust collector is a winner for our pharmaceutical applications. It is way ahead of the curve of anyone in the dust collection industry. The results from the potent compound surrogate test are very positive. Nice work!
– Project Engineer, Major Pharmaceutical Company
Surrogate Tested Dust Collection System for Performance Verification
The Farr Gold Series Camtain contained dust collection system has been independently surrogate tested for validated performance verification. A major pharmaceutical company's surrogate testing protocol was followed with an independently contracted, AIHA-accredited laboratory (Bureau Veritas) performing the testing.
Using 100% milled lactose as the surrogate, we collected over 75 area, personal and swab samples for both the safe-change filter replacement and the continuous liner discharge, The GS Camtain can handle risk-based category 3, 4 and 5 compounds with occupational exposure limits less than 1.0 mcg/m3 for an 8-hour time weighted average. Full test report data is available upon request. You can download a summary of the surrogate test report now.
Health and Safety Considerations
Two key concerns are critical when handling pharmaceutical dusts–the potent, toxic or allergenic properties of the compound as it relates to personnel exposure and the explosion properties of the compound.
The first issue involves understanding the toxicological properties of the material, reviewing the occupational exposure limit (OEL) and performing a risk-based exposure evaluation to determine the methods for proper control. In most cases, some level of isolation and containment is required due to the fact that the pharmaceutical dust is extremely potent while being capture in a non-production area and cannot be released into the surrounding environment.
In most cases, Camfil APC recommends a HEPA secondary polishing system. With HEPA backup systems after the dust collector, recirculation of the filter air back into the HVAC system is possible. This can significantly reduce energy costs while providing the necessary level of filtration for discharge air required by the EPA.
The second concern involves deflagration and explosion potential. Control measures such as explosion venting, chemical suppression and isolation systems may be required depending on the physical characteristics of the dust relating to Kst, MIE and the location of the collector.
When explosion vents are required, they must be vented to the outside by either placing the collector outdoors or ducting the vent exhaust a specified distance through the building structure. Note that to prevent outside the building or off-property exposure in the event of a dust explosion of potent compounds, either chemical suppression or containment designs for explosion and isolation valves make more sense than venting because these two protection options do not release materials to the environment.
Camfil APC recommends an independent PE specifies what explosion protection is required for a given material as it relates to standards in NFPA, ATEX and the major insurance carriers.
Here are some informative documents regarding health and safety in industrial dust collection:
Farr Gold Series Camtain Options
Containment systems and other equipment options designed specifically for the GS Camtain in pharmaceutical applications are available.
Safe-change containment systems are available for both the filter cartridges and discharge system. The cartridge change utilizes a safe-change filter replacement method while the discharge uses continuous liner technology.
Other Pharma-Specific Options
In addition to the safe-change containment systems above, the GS Camtain has special options just for pharmaceutical applications including:
Pharmaceutical upgrade package
- Heavy duty construction and stiffeners rate housing to 0.44785 bar
- Deflectors added to eliminate all internal horizontal ledges
- Closed cell silicone gaskets and caulk at all bolted connections
- HEPA filter on the pressure taps for the pressure differential gauge.
- Burst detector
- Vertical plenum
- Up to 1016 mm diameter vent duct
- Weather hood
Proper Application of the Farr Gold Series Camtain
Camfil APC has an entire team assembled specifically to support the pharmaceutical market. Qualified engineers on this team will work with you to properly apply a Farr Gold Series Camtain containment dust collector on your pharmaceutical application. Below is a sample of questions/considerations:
Is the material being collected considered a potent compound?
- What is the source of the dust?
- If the source is a process machine, who is the manufacturer of the machine?
- What is the air volume that the collector is required to handle?
- What is the estimated dust loading?
- What are the hours of operation?
- What is the total static pressure the collector is required to withstand?
- Will the collector be located indoors or outdoors?
- What is the operating and maximum temperature?
- What is the Kst value (deflagration index) of the dust?
- Will they be using explosion vents or an explosion suppression system?
- If suppression system, are they asking us to provide this?
- If venting, are they venting through a wall (horizontally) or ceiling (vertically)?
- What is the distance of the vent duct?
- Is containment specified? Is it for both the doors and discharge?
- If the unit is indoors what is the size of the room (l x w x h)?
- Are pre-filters/after-filters required? Do they require safe-change filter replacement?
- Is the jobsite domestic or overseas? If overseas, what country?
- Does the customer currently have dust collectors? Whose? Are they contained?
- What do they like/dislike about collectors/collector manufacturers with which they have experience?